shabby blog background

Sunday, August 28, 2011

The Help

One of my summer reads was “The Help”.  It came highly recommended to me by a few people, so I downloaded it to my iPhone and devoured it within a week.  It is the story of the black women who work as maids in Jackson Mississippi in the 1960s.  It follows the stories of a few maids and the “white ladies” they work for.  One of the more rebellious and open-minded white ladies decides to write a book, exposing the truth about the racism, discrimination, and inequality that plagues the coloured people of Mississippi.  She enlists the help of several maids who share their stories with her….the good, the bad, and the ugly about what it’s like to be a black person in a “white man’s” world. 

Definitely a worthwhile read!  I highly recommend it.  The movie has just been released in theatres, but I think I will wait a while before seeing it as the book is still fresh in my mind and I’m worried I will be disappointed. 

image

No comments: