shabby blog background

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Back to School!

Today was my first day "back to school".....as the teacher! I am teaching at a high school in the north end of Mississauga, just 10 minutes from our house. I have one grade 9 science course, one grade 11 general science, and a grade 11 biology class. I have my own classroom which I have lovingly decorated with all my nature posters. There is also an aquarium in the room, and Kieran has promised he will come and help me set it up.

Today went relatively smoothly, considered I only got hired here last Thursday night. I scrambled together some handouts over the weekend and basically we did "classroom expectations" in all 3 classes today, plus handed out textbooks, etc. Tomorrow's lesson in all three classes will be "safety" (oooh, how fun!). I will take pictures of the room and post them later. I am in a science department with only 3 other full-time science people, all of which are men. The "lunch" fridge is stocked with beer, and today while I was putting up my educational posters, Mr. Jefferies was figuring out how to wire his massive speakers to his receiver in the classroom. The other two guys also figured out how to wire the music into their classrooms as well. Then they blared classic rock all through the lunch hour.

Here is a picture of my first day outfit:



And my darling husband brought me roses to congratulate me on my first day!

(notice how frazzled my hair is after a long stressful day?)

All in all it was a good first day, but I can't help but ask........How many days until Christmas break????

1 comment:

DKScott said...

wow...ive never seen a librarian dress like that before!